Saturday, February 20, 2016

Eulogy shared by Sister Sears at the Pennsylvania Pittsburgh Mission Memorial service for Sister Wells

I wish I could do Sister Wells character justice here. I have a firm testimony that with any calling in the church and in any service we are given a glimpse of those you serve through God's eyes. I got to serve as sister wells STL for four and a half months. 
Sister Wells was special. She had an undeniable love of the Savior . You  knew it just talking with her and you felt closer to Him just being around her. She was such a genuine person, she had the warmest countenance. She and I shared a love of teaching lesson three- the gospel of Jesus Christ. If there's anyone who is qualified to teach it, it is her- because she knew it, she lived it, and she loved it. Sister wells was so Christlike. I admired her ability to make anyone feel important and loved. Sister Wells paid as much service to fellow missionaries, including myself by helping me through my own challenges, as she did the people here in Pennsylvania. 
She was so much fun. Her easy going and fun but strong spirit undoubtedly touched everyone she met here. You were just happier when you were around her. I always looked forward to exchanges with Sister Wells - she was so easy to get along with, I am sure that what would have been a lifelong friend will surely be a guardian angel to us all here in this life and a friend in the next. Sister wells is proof that the worst of things in life can happen to the best of people, but I guess we all know some other examples of this idea. She was just called home early to continue her work elsewhere. 
Knowing what kind of person she was does not make this loss any easier, but it does bring peace knowing exactly where she is right now because of the way she lived her life. 

In the vision of the spirit world in chapter 138 of Doctrine and covenants, Joseph Smith described those he saw, he said:
" I beheld that they were filled with joy and gladness" 

Sister Wells was such a loving happy and fun person, we all know she would not want us to dwell on her passing and be sad, because she is not- but to move forward and worker harder. She loved life, she loved her family, she loved the gospel, and she knows better than any of us now that those things all continue. 

Like sister wells always ended her emails, we can all pay our tribute to her by the way we serve.
"Have faith, have hope, live like his Son, help others on their way"

I hope you all feel the same peace and assurance that I have found and that her family now finds knowing that this separation isn't permanent, in fact, just a brief moment in our Heavenly Fathers perfect plan. The plan of salvation feels so close to home and so real. We can rest assured that she will have a sweet reunion with her special family one day. God's timing is better than ours, and His ways are higher than ours. There are amazing things in store for such a amazing a faithful person. 

The hymn be still my soul is something I've turned to in various stages of my life and I certainly have turned to it this week. I want to end by reading the last verse of this song. 

Be still, my soul: The hour is hast’ning on
When we shall be forever with the Lord,
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love’s purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: When change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.


No comments:

Post a Comment