Monday, January 25, 2016

The Snow Came.......

Hi!

     So yeah....... the snow came. Haha. So much snow. It's my fault though, I prayed for it. And we got the second biggest storm in the East since 1983 or something. Before the storm hit I was making fun of everyone freaking out about it- walmart was literally wiped clean. When we went there a few days before the storm they were completely out of milk, eggs, bread, all the essentials. So crazy. So it started Friday night, and ended Sunday morning. 
Sunday morning church was cancelled, and we were still stuck in the apartment. The entire fleet of cars in the mission was grounded for the blizzard. Anyway we started our studies at 8 and out my window there was a guy trying to dig out his car so we decided to go help him. We were like "we'll eat breakfast when we come back in after we help this guy." 
     One car turned into two... To three... To four.. Until ended up digging out every single car in our apartment complex. Each one of then was entirely encased in snow- no part of it was visible. Then we tracked down all the owners door to door and got them all unstuck and moved them into the cemetery so that plows could remove all the snow from the lot- as we dug out the cars we had nowhere to put the snow but the middle which created huge mountains of snow, each eight to ten feet high from each car. We didn't walk back in the door until 7 pm where we finally ate "breakfast" hahah. Needless to say.... 30 some cars later today has been a down pday. My back is DONE for hahah. I couldn't tell you how many thousands of pounds of snow we shoveled. But I am now an expert at shoveling and getting cars unstuck. Luckily Hermana smith gives a great back rub.👌🏻
It was really cool to get to meet each one of our neighbors finally. Hopefully they'll be more likely to open their door the next time we knock.(;

Anyway, it was a blizzard I'll never forget! 

     A funny experience of the week- Hermana Smith and I were working on our list of Spanish potential investigators, less actives, etc, and knocking doors. We knocked on the door of what turned out to be the minister of an entire Spanish congregation. At first he played nice, invited us right in. Then when we told him who we were he let loose. Hahaha. 
     He started firing off questions then throwing back anti. Gosh I'm the worst in these situations. To be honest these people make me so mad, the longer I stand there. But I've always been good at just taking it. My companion on the other hand.... Haha love Hermana smith. But she tries to bash hard core with these people. I always just wait and wait.... And wait until someone takes a breath, and bear my testimony. At that point the man tried to start with me again and I just smiled and shook his hand and cut him off with "we're not the enemy here." 
He asked if he could "pray with us" before he left. So we agreed. This crazy guy grabs me by my arms and my face and says "I hope you two have an experience you'll never forget- tonight you'll wake up at 3am and you'll think of me." 
Hahaha I was so shaken up when I left. Thank goodness I am able to let anti material roll off my back at this point. 
We can laugh now. 

     Anyway Hermana smith and I have a bad habit of scheduling appointments on pdays, and we've got one today with Mariana. She lives three miles away and we're still grounded so we're just going to gear up and walk haha. She and her son are great. Her son is only ten and asks questions sometimes we can't even answer. This week we taught the plan of salvation and he was able to sit and teach the entire thing back to us after. Her husband isn't ready to sit down with us yet, but have been really focusing on eternal families with them. It's something Mariana wants but won't come overnight. 

     Laura and Juan are great as always- I will be so sad to miss their baptism February 5. There's a 90% chance I get transferred this transfer. 
We continue to meet more and more of the Spanish community, the Gettysburg ward bishop has even turned over their Spanish members to us. I can't help but continue to hope for a branch here- if not now then one day. It is much needed. 

"..I can live with some human imperfections, even among prophets of God--that is to be expected in mortal beings. I can live with some alleged scientific findings contrary to the Book of Mormon; time will correct those. And I can live with some seeming historical anomalies; they are minor in the total landscape of truth. But I cannot live without the doctrinal truths and ordinances restored by Joseph Smith, I cannot live without the priesthood of God to bless my family, and I cannot live without knowing my family is sealed to me for eternity. That is the choice we face--a few unanswered questions on one hand versus a host of doctrinal certainties and the power of God on the other. And for me, and I hope for you, the choice is an easy one and a rational one." 
- "What is the blueprint of Christ's church?" -Elder Tad R Callister 

That's why true faith is always grounded in pure and simple truths- those are the real pillars of foundation for true testimonies. 
(Oh and I have good news- I didn't wake up at 3am, this church is true,)
Hasta luego
Hermana Sears

I'll send pics later, I've got lots.
Thank you to my loyal friends and family for the continued love and support via letters, emails, and prayers. I couldn't ask for anything more. Never underestimate what even a short note to a missionary means to us. Haha. 



No comments:

Post a Comment